I *happened* in to Ross the other day. =) Boy, am I glad I did. I scored a pair of pillows that are perfect for our bedroom (or living room). They are residing in our bedroom for the moment. $6.99 each…amazing deal. How perfect are they?
New homes in the early seventies were just wired differently. The short version is: they thought over head lights were evil. As a result, our master bedroom had an overhead fan without a light and a wall switch that powered one of the electrical outlets in the room (meant for a lamp). Our bedroom happens to be the room where I learned how to replace old electrical outlets and that electrical outlet attached to the switch might not work any more. We’ve been making due with the hallway light and the TV to light our bedroom at night.Today’s the first day we,ve had a working light in our master. Light is good. I missed it. Here’s the before and after.
Cross another thing off the July To-Do List (lol). The curtains themselves have been made for quite some time, but I just couldn’t find the right thing for the rods. After looking at Lowe’s and Walmart for rods, I was discouraged. The cheaper ones were really thin and short. I needed at least 85 inches (to hang quite a bit wider than the window). The rods at both places were either cheap (and looked super cheap) or over $60 and nice looking. I didn’t want to spend $60, so I started looking elsewhere.
I saw a really neat option on Pinterest for curtain rods. People were using plumbing pipes with flanges and nipples to create a curtain rod. Super cute and industrial looking. Well, I priced that and it came to $55. Still too much.
I then decided to look at electrical conduit and see if that was an option. Well, after three calls to different hardware stores to see if they could thread an end….it was a no go (I still think it can be done).
Anyways, I stumbled across firetruck (I know, perfect right?) rods online a few weeks’ ago. Guess what? They were on clearance (in the size I needed) for $18 and they shipped for free. Sold! Thank you, Company Store.
The rod is from the Columbia house and it has a glass finial on the end. Definitely not boyish. Also, look how close the curtain rod is to the window? Definitely makes the window look small.
So, our entryway has evolved again with this DIY String Art. I’m thrilled with how this project turned out and it was FREE! Can’t beat that, right? Let me back up for a second though and give you the backstory. My grandma gave me a few old mirrors which I had spray painted and placed in the entryway. I really liked how the mirrors looked, but the whole entryway came off a bit bland once we repainted the walls.
I wanted something a bit more striking and decided to add a graphic text to achieve it.
I found a font online and then scaled it to approximately the size of our wall. Then, I cut it out and taped it to the wall.
On every corner of each letter, I put in a nail.
I used plain string (embroidery thread to be exact) and strung it along each nail.
3 hours and 70 nails later…
I love it! The color of the yarn is peach. Once I get the rest of the decor in the entryway, I think it is all going to come together. Love love love it!
…. “come together right now”….. for some reason that song just popped in to my head.
Edited to add:
Now, the entryway looks a bit more like this:
Pin for Later:
*Affiliate links below. Thanks for supporting this blog. Click to read my disclosure policy.
We started many of these projects last weekend and are hoping to have most of them completed by the end of this weekend. *I’m crossing my fingers as I say that.*